My Natural Nail Journey

Photo Credit: Raquel

I love getting my nails done; there are so many different fun colors, trends, and designs to experiment with. I'm super busy therefore I like getting the gel overlay or regular acrylic overlay on my nails (acrylic or gel overlay set is put over your nails instead of using tips). I like my nails to look fabulous and fun without dealing with a chipped nail everyday. I just don't have time for it. However, it's not the healthiest nail ritual. I recognized it was necessary to take a break from it. It's something that should be done frequently but I haven't done it quite awhile so I knew it was time. I do plan on getting my nails done with the gel or acrylic again but I know it's mandatory to take a break in order to nurture my own nail bed. 

After all, it doesn't matter how fancy your nails are if they are not healthy. Nail care is essential. I've been doing the whole natural manicure ritual since the end of February and it's been going good. I feel great about it! Here's my routine:

1) Apply 1-2 coats of Sally Hansen's "Thicken-Up!" nail strengthener as the base coat on my bare nails after completing a manicure or getting a manicure. Let it dry for 15  minutes. Apply nail color. Or if I'm not in the mood to babysit a potential nail-chipping- situation, I opt to go without nail color and proceed to step 2.

2) Once the nail strengthener has dried I apply 1 coat of Sally Hansen's "Hard As Nails" to complete the nail care routine.

I love these Sally Hansen nail products because they have been around for years and they work. I love the results! You can find them at your local CVS or Rite Aid or for $5 or $6.

I use the strengthener 2 or sometimes 3 times a week. I remove it and refresh it every 3-4 days, depending on the need. Although this is not the most glamorous or easiest nail routine for me, I'm happy to give my nails a break.  My plan is to keep this up until maybe early or mid May. I also plan to take more breaks from the acrylics and gels to ensure a healthier nail bed for life. I'm not giving up acrylic but I'm learning to do it in moderation. I hope you find my natural nail journey inspiring. Nail pics coming soon!



No comments

Feel free to leave a comment or e-mail me at metrodivapages@gmail.com!